Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rest and Recovery Detox Salad

Last Saturday I participated in a Tough Mudder and have spent the last 3 days trying to recover from the muscle strain, bruises and overall battery.   Meanwhile my little girl came down with a fever the night before the event.  Miss. P. rarely gets sick and when she does it's usually a 1 or 2 day affair, but without my arsenal of healthful remedies, the poor thing didn't stand a chance.

While we've been consuming vast quantities of broth based soups and healthful smoothies, I really haven't had the ability to do any major food prep until today.  But finally this morning  awakened with renewed vigor...my little girl simply cannot miss another day of school.  So I put together this detox salad for us.  I wondered if she would eat the brussel sprouts, but having been roasted they lack bitterness and she gobbled it up. Here's keeping our fingers crossed that she is ready to join society tomorrow.  I can only stay in the house for so many days.



Rest and Recovery Salad

- 4 cups brussel, cleaned, cut in half .
- 8 stalks of Napa Cabbage (other cabbage works too).  I reserve the leaf for Cabbage roles or salad.
- 2 apples
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Juice 1 lemon
- balsalmic dressing
- salt/pepper
- 1 T olive oil

Toss brussel sprouts with salt and olive oil.  Roast at 450 for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Chop stalks of cabbage and apple into 1/4" pieces.  Toss with cooled brussel sprouts.  Pour lemon juice over the top and toss.  Add pecans, season and add dressing.

If this salad is too tart for you, you can always reduce the lemon juice or add use an emulsion of balsamic and olive oil to dress the salad.

1 comment:

  1. This salad looks so good, I can't wait to try it! I hope both you and little Miss P are on the way to a speedy recovery,my friend!!

    ReplyDelete