Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Feeling Peachy

Last summer I remember making oodles of drunken herb peaches and feeding them to friends in cocktails.  Right now, I am declining alcohol (mostly), so was trying to decide what to do with my surplus peaches without heating up my kitchen. (It's over 100 degrees right now)

No-bake pie?  Nah -- also trying to cut down on sweets.

Just cut and freeze?  Nah -- I still haven't used up the last batch I froze...I can only drink so many smoothies.

I had read something in Martha Stewart's Whole Living about blending raw fruit and then straining the juice into ice cube trays to make pretty and flavorful icecubes.  Well, I have no ice cube trays, but I thought if I did this and poured it into a round tupperware container, I could freeze it and throw it into a pretty party punch later on. Cool idea -- so I proceeded.

Blend blend blend.   I ended up with about 16 cups of blended white peaches. It made a  pretty white sauce with pink dots in it.  But as I began to separate the juice from pulp/skin (using a strainer), it began to turn dark like apple sauce.  Well -- it might taste good, but it sure wasn't going to make a pretty party punch.

Giant ice cube idea abandoned, I now had about 8 cups of very smooth "pulp" and 8 cups of very thick juice.

The pulp was mixed with some stevia and cinnamon and became raw peach sauce -- v. tasty -- the kids gobbled it up.

The juice was mixed with gelatin and poured into a saran wrap lined jelly roll pan.  Put into the freezer 5 minutes ago, I'm hoping to find some cinnamon-peach jello in about an hour.   I'll keep you posted...


UPDATE:  I thought it tasted good, but the kids rejected it b/c it wasn't a smooth enough jello.  Having pulp in the juice ruined it for them.

1 comment: